Wondering if you should choose a general dentist as your next dental professional? Keep in mind that choosing a new dentist is like choosing a new health care professional, as general dentists are your go-to professionals whenever you are in need of any type of dental care. If you need more detailed dental work, then…
Pros and Cons of Braces for Orthodontics
Braces have been used for orthodontics for over a century. They move teeth by applying force on them, slowly pushing them to a better alignment. Braces are made up of brackets that are attached to each tooth and wires that connect all the brackets on a dental arch. Increasing tension in these wires increases the force being applied to the patient’s teeth. Pushing teeth to a better alignment is the idea that powers orthodontics.
Braces are highly recommended by dentists when it comes to fixing severe bite issues. Treatment times are typically somewhere between one to three years. Braces are easily noticed when worn, however, and that makes some people reluctant to straighten their teeth with them.
Fortunately, more aesthetically pleasing options like ceramic braces have been developed. Ceramic braces have similar parts as metal braces, but the metallic components are replaced with transparent and tooth-colored parts. As a result, it is harder to notice them on teeth.
Pros and cons of orthodontics with braces
Most people think of braces when orthodontics is mentioned. The benefits of straightening teeth with braces include:
- Traditional braces can be used to treat a wider range of orthodontic issues than clear aligners, such as problems caused by a person’s jaw being improperly positioned
- Braces tend to lead to better outcomes compared to clear aligners
- Braces are typically more affordable than clear aligners
- Braces work 24/7, and that can lead to shorter treatment times
- Braces being non-removable can be a plus for the parents of children who need orthodontic treatment
- There is no way that a person can lose their braces
- Braces are more effective at straightening children’s teeth
- Ceramic braces provide decent aesthetics
- Braces are sturdier than clear aligners
However, there are downsides to fixing bite issues with braces. The most common ones include:
- Metal braces can ruin a person's smile
- People who wear braces often must avoid foods that need to be bitten into, like apples or corn, since this can lead to food particles getting stuck underneath the appliance or cause damage
- Braces being non-removable makes it harder to clean teeth and eat during treatment
- Treatment with braces typically requires monthly visits to a dentist
- Braces are more challenging to clean than clear aligners
Braces can get you a straight smile
Braces might not be the most aesthetically pleasing oral appliances used to straighten teeth, but they get the job done. Call or visit our Albany clinic to learn more about how oral appliances like braces can be used to fix problems with your bite.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Orthodontics in Albany, OR.
In addition to making your teeth look nice, teeth whitening products bring several benefits to your oral health and mental well-being. Whitening products may include toothpaste, gels, and strips that are placed over the teeth. Whitening procedures can be done at home or at a dental facility.The more obvious effect of teeth whitening is a…
You may need a wisdom tooth extraction already. Wisdom teeth often erupt between 17 and 21 years of age. Some people ignore their wisdom teeth. Others have no choice but to pay attention to theirs. In some cases, extracting the wisdom teeth could make or break dental health. If you want to know the signs…
Dentures are not exclusive to senior citizens. Many unavoidable circumstances could lead to tooth loss. This is when a quick teeth replacement system must come in. If you want to find out when you should get dentures, here are the details.Tooth loss results in gaps between teeth. The empty spaces prompt the neighboring teeth to…